Enforcement of Settlements

Los Angeles Divorce Attorney

Enforcement of Divorce Agreements

Once a divorce has been finalized, enforcing the settlement agreement may become a contentious situation between ex-spouses. A non-custodial father may refuse to make child support or spousal support payments or may refuse to return a child to the mother after a scheduled visitation. A mother may refuse to allow her ex-husband visitation rights. Such incidents are all too familiar between divorced couples, especially when there is residual hostility between them. If such situations cannot be remedied between the parties themselves, then legal action on the part of the mistreated spouse becomes necessary.

Bringing Forth Necessary Legal Action

An ex-spouse who is the recipient of a violated divorce agreement can bring legal action against the opposing spouse by charging him or her with a contempt action. This action can enforce the opposing spouse to pay alimony, child support, attorney's fees, to comply with visitation rights and schedules, or to comply with other terms of the divorce settlement. The party filing the contempt action must show that the opposing spouse refused or failed to comply with the settlement agreement or judgment. Under a contempt ruling by the court, the opposing ex-spouse may face jail time until the contempt action is handled.

If you need assistance having your divorce settlement enforced on your ex-spouse, our firm may be able to help you. We are a family law practice that concentrates only on divorce and family law issues in the Los Angeles area. Because of this, we are well-versed in resolving all family law issues, including enforcement of divorce settlements.

Talk to a Lawyer about Your Divorce Settlement Situation

When faced with the stressful situation of a non-compliant ex-spouse in a divorce settlement situation, it is in your best interests to obtain the legal support and counsel you need to resolve such a battle. It is important to consult with a Los Angeles divorce lawyer as soon as possible when the divorce agreement has been broken so that the situation may be corrected before it deteriorates further.

Contact The Law Offices of Michael D. Burt Today!

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy